These terms and rules govern all film submissions to the 2021 Tallahassee Film Festival (“TFF” or the “Festival”).
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2020. TFF reserves the right to select submitted films completed outside of the above mentioned time frame, but those films will be ineligible to compete for an award. Selected films must be available for screening during the 2021 Tallahassee Film Festival.
- All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
- If a password changes or link changes after submitting, you must email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
- Films that have been submitted to TFF in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of TFF’s current rules.
- Films with US distribution (obtained prior to being selected for TFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening.
- Short films that have played (or will play) in Tallahassee in a theatrical setting to a public audience prior to September 1, 2021 are not eligible for the Tallahassee Film Festival. This includes locally-held special screenings, “Premiere Nights,” or other festivals. The ONLY exception is that a short may have played as part of a class screening for an accredited university’s film program. We prefer that shorts be Tallahassee premieres.
- Short films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival are ineligible and will not be considered for exhibition during the Festival. We prefer that shorts not be publicly available online.
- TFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
- Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be selected to be “in competition” for awards purposes. Notifications regarding potential selection for competition status possibly may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
- Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT IN FLORIDA (include locations) or made by FLORIDA FILMMAKERS.
- As a filmmaker-centric festival, we will accept a film that is a work-in-progress as long as it is expressly noted as such when submitted along with general notes on what is yet to be completed. If the film is accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker must inform us of the availability of the final cut and supply the Festival with their most recent version.
- Tallahassee Film Festival reserves the right to switch the entry category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
- Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
- Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. TFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
Selected Films and Winners
- Filmmakers will be notified on or before September 1, 2021 if their film has been accepted to the Tallahassee Film Festival.
- Upon acceptance, exhibition copies and additional press materials will be requested.
- Exhibition copies for virtually screened accepted films will be requested via a content invite through the Eventive platform. Filmmakers should submit content upon request via their Eventive Creator Hub. To learn more, visit Eventive.
- Exhibition copies for any physically screened accepted films will be requested via direct contact from our team.
- TFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
- TFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by TFF or by its volunteers.
- Winners will be announced on April 19, 2020. The judges’ decision is final.
- TFF primarily screens films as digital files during the Festival. Blu-ray and DCP are also acceptable as final exhibition formats. If your film is selected, we will confer with you on the exhibition formats available at the venue where the film will be screening.
- The Tallahassee Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We warrant that I/we am/are authorized to commit the film for screening during festival April 15-19, 2020.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE TALLAHASSEE FILM FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.